Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Fight Between Democrats

I was listening to The Young Turks (tied for Thom Hartmann with the best show on Air America) and listening to them rip the blue-dog Democrats for giving in to Bush...again. But it seems that the so-called "New Democrats" always get a pass on left leaning shows. I know that if you have to compare the two, or choose between the two, I'd always pick a New Democrat..as well most people I think would. But the New Democrats are just as a problem with the Democratic party losing their way as the blue dogs. Centrist, fiscally more conservative then in the pass, and more open to deregulation. Now, don't get me wrong, Clinton did a lot of good when he was President. He also caused some great problems, namely NAFTA and deregulation of telecommunications. While the blue dogs make no quips about being moderate to conservative Democrats the New Democrats do. They have, for the most part, forgotten about the middle-class and are not as hard on corporations and the super rich. They call it a "new line for the Democratic party" while I look at it as the slow destruction of the Democratic parties values.

A few examples, off the top of my head: Bill Clinton's campaign in 1992. Populist rhetoric at it's best. Once he got elected, all that populism was thrown to the way-side. Hillary is doing the same now. Is there anything she won't say to get elected? Why won't she apologize for her authorization of the war in Iraq? One of Hillary's favorite sayings is "I know how to get things done." Roughly translated, that means "I will negotiate and bend backwards and really make no significant changes." She might be the worst example of the New Democrat phase, but she certainly isn't the only one. Another example, and one I don't think I even have to elaborate on, Joe Libermann is a New Democrat.

Now, again, I do still agree with some/most of what New Democrats believe in. But it just seems like, to me anyways, that they are losing their way. They keeping getting closer to the center of the political spectrum, skewing the difference between Democrat and Republican further.

All hope isn't lost however. There are still true progressives involved in the Democratic party. Such men as Dennis Kucinich, John Edwards, Russ Feingold, Bernie Sanders (I know he's an Independent, but hey) and assorted others are keeping the traditional dream alive.

1 comment:

JP45 said...

I hear what you're saying about the DLC "New Democrats" of the 1990's taking the party in the wrong direction. The good news is that it's a dying breed. Check out my blog entry:

http://thesplendidtorch.blogspot.com/2007/08/lemmings-are-democrats-or-why-we-refuse.html

We can do better.