Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Some Random Pre-Debate Thoughts

The debate's about four hours away and I wanted to post some random thoughts pre-debate...the preview show, if you will...I promise it won't be as long as the Super Bowl's

-Mike Gravel won't be participating, which is sad in my book. The more voices, the better...I guess Mike couldn't push himself into the debate this time. A really pity, I think he'd really have something worthwhile to say in front of this crowd. If you get past his anger (he reminds me of the old men from the Muppets sometimes) he has some interesting things to say.

-I'm really anxious to see if Hillary Clinton's recent comments will be an issue. They have to be, don't they? It was a real ludicorus thing to say. As Chris Matthews said...if the piper's paying you, you're singing his tune.

-A crowd like this is really primed for someone like Barack Obama. I like Barack but the not taking money from lobbyist thing is still a sketchy issue. I hope someone calls him out on still taking money from corporations.

-The best candidate for American jobs and workers' rights is Dennis Kucinich in my book. He talks often about creating a balance between workers and corporations, I'd like to hear his plan further on this issue and his others. If he got the chance, he could really shine tonight.

-You can check out the seven participating candidates' opening statements on MSNBC right now. I'm doing it now to pass the time.

I'll make a post after the debate to talk about how the debate went in my eyes, and hope to hear some of your feedback.

2 comments:

Chad Lupkes said...

Corporations can't give money to political candidates. Not directly. That's why they go through lobbyists and Political Action Committees.

When the reports say that company X gave money, it means that employees of that company gave the money, not out of the corporate profits.

There is no balance between the workers and corporations. Workers are human beings. Corporations are pieces of paper signed by human beings. Capital does not trump human needs. That's how we got into this nightmare in the first place.

Progressive Panda said...

Yeah, I know corporations can't give money directly to the candidates. I was just making a generality, you know, but you get what I was saying...